Wednesday, March 15, 2017

I heart Dimdimsum

Hello,

Yup, another food post of my 4Days 3Nights visit to Hong Kong.

After spending one whole day at Disneyland, we went back to Yau Ma Tei intending to call it a night. But we kinda got lost walking in circles and we also kept talking about getting a late night snack. Most eating places were closing so we eventually decided to walk to Mong Kok to look for Dimdimsum which was open till 2am. By the time we found Dimdimsum, we were exhausted.


I had heard about Dimdimsum from my friend and I did not bother to do any research. I think sometimes it's good not to let other people's experience taint my expectations. The place was small and nearly filled. We were lucky to get a table right away. We shared a table with a lone diner.

Right away I could tell this place was going to be nice because we felt welcomed.

Our waiter was pleasant and didn't bark at me when I daringly asked for a English menu. Much to my surprise they not only had a nice English menu, there were photos of the food as well! Honestly we weren't that hungry but we couldn't leave Hong Kong without eating some dim sum. We ordered 5 items and as all the items came in 3's, it was a bit too much food for the two of us.

One interesting thing about the order chit provided. If you see [o], it contains internal organs/offals. Don't say they didn't warn you! (check out items 18 and 19)

Radish cake (3 pcs). I have an extreme fondness for radish cakes and I had no regrets ordering it. It was superb. I am rather exacting in how I like my radish cake cooked and the softness of the "cake" is just perfecto. Hubs said it was salty but I disagreed.

 
Rice flour rolls with BBQ pork (3 rolls). In Singapore we call this chee cheong fun. Dimdimsum's version unfortunately did not match my high standards. I think the problem with how Hongkongers eat chee cheong fun is the sauce they provide is not the same. In Singapore we eat it with 2 or 3 kinds of sauce. A light sweet soy sauce, a reddish sweet sauce and chilli sauce. Also the skin could be a little bit softer. I ate 2 rolls of this and felt my stomach bursting. Chee cheong fun can be rather filling.

Stuffed Bean Curd Wraps in Mushroom Soup (3 pcs). This was so fantastic. I would love to eat it again. The "soup" tasted very good. Yum, yum, yum. If I close my eyes and think very hard, I swear I can still "taste" the soup.

I think this is Shanghai Soup Dumplings with black truffle (3 pcs). The skin was rather thick so not good in my opinion. I think Din Dai Fung's steamed dumpling set the standard for little steamed dumplings for me.

Chiu Chow Style dumplings (3 pcs). I think we regretted ordering this because I was too full to eat any and hubs had to finish it and he didn't like Chiu Chow dumplings. My bad.

At Dimdimsum we were served 2 cups of tea. I'm pretty sure this tea is for drinking because the waiter topped it up. (I drank it)

When it came time to pay, I went to the cashier to do it. Hubs gave me some notes and all his coins which we desperately wanted to get rid of. Hong Kong currency has these strange $1, $2, $5 coins and we didn't want to keep them. The cashier understood immediately that I wanted to get rid of my dollar coins and she took all the coins from me and a few notes. How nice of her! We left extremely happy.

Address:
112 Tung Choi Street, Mong Kok

Other outlets: Jordan, Wan Chai, Sha Tin, Whampoa

Read about my trip to Hong kong here:
4Days 3Nights in Hong Kong
Tea at Australia Dairy Co
Breakfast at Capital Cafe

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Bag Pattern Shop

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane

My Applique Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2

My Embroidery Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2